1 (800) 613-6889
How to Overseed Your Lawn to Lush: Step-by-Step
Keeping our lawns lush and green could be challenging. For sure, most of us may have long been looking for surefire ways to keep our lawns healthy. One way to do this is to overseed your lawn.
It's not as easy as regularly watering your lawn. There's actually a secret behind achieving a beautiful, lush lawn. Landscape professionals know what it is, but many homeowners don't.
According to Pennington, overseeding is a comprehensive, proactive way to keep lawns looking great. Whether you're tending your first lawn or have years of experience, learning how to overseed your lawn can improve your results.
What is overseeding?
Overseeding is spreading grass seed over an existing lawn. Done right, it's a straightforward process that gets results.
As grasses mature, thinning is normal—especially if you enjoy your lawn and use it often. This is proven to keep your lawn competitive and steeped in youth and vigor, without starting over from scratch. It saves you time and effort without sacrificing your lawn's health, and can even prolong its lush life.
Step-by-step process of overseeding
Davey provides a full step by step guide on overseeding your lawn to lush.
- Make sure that the grass seed you pick matches the grass type you already have in your lawn. You may also opt to switch to a totally different grass seed if you feel your lawn has not been doing well. Research the best grass types that grow in your climate and use this as your basis.
- Test the soil to find out if it's missing any nutrients. You should also try to see if the pH is off balance. These are among the most common reasons why lawns deteriorate, which could be a long-term problem when not adequately addressed. Grass needs a good foundation to grow its best. A soil test can tell you exactly what nutrients your lawn soil needs to be the best environment for new seeds.
- Mow the lawn before overseeding. This will leave enough breathing space for the old lawn and welcome the new ones that are just about to grow. Creating a healthy environment for your grass is key to having a lush lawn.
- Water the lawn to moisten the soil, but make sure it's not soaking wet. A good rule of thumb is to water the day before you plan to overseed, so the soil has a little time to dry. Striking the perfect balance will save your grass from early deterioration.
- When the soil is moist, go over the grass a few times with a core aerator (you can rent these at most garden stores) or a manual lawn aerator. This leaves tiny holes in the soil for the seeds to be worked into.
- If you choose to add compost before overseeding, apply no more than a fourth of an inch after aeration. However, there is no need to worry if you don't have compost—this step is optional.
Why should I overseed my lawn?
Overseeding is crucial in keeping your lawns lush because it can act as an easy yet effective way to fill in bare spots in your lawn, according to LawnChick.
Many factors could have caused those bare spots, such as weather, stray toys, neighborhood dogs, etc. Whatever the reason may be, it is best to address these spots before they get out of hand quickly. These spots could largely affect how your lawn looks, which could soon get worse.
Overseeding your lawn can also help to improve the density of your lawn grasses. This can prevent weeds from taking root. It will save you time and effort from weeding and effectively improve your lawn looks.
Apparently, overseeding can easily enhance the color and uniformity of your lawn's appearance.
After you've completed all steps in overseeding your lawn, make sure to keep it healthy by regularly disinfecting it. Having a vast lawn may be a pain to maintain, but it does not have to be that way if you have a handy tool with you.
Get it done with Petra Electric Fogger Backpack Sprayer
Get all the power and function you need for your lawn from the Petra Electric Fogger Backpack Sprayer.
It's perfect for commercial pest control and at home spraying and disinfecting use.
- Perfect for use with natural bug repellents!
- Perfect for vegetable gardens, fruit trees, Photonia shrubs & all your growing needs, for fogging greenhouses, basements, attics, crawl space, roofs, chicken coops, and woods.
- Perfect for using with your cleaning solutions for at-home use
It comes with an extended coiled hose for perfect ULV misting. You can easily extend this hose above your head to reach plants and garden areas.
It also features a large wide mouth opening allows for easy filling and features a screen filter to keep dirt/debris out of the tank.
You can even adjust your spray mid-use so that you can maximize your solution use. Comfortably hit max distances with full spray amount or get up close. Easy to use and convenient!
Carry up to 4 gallons in absolute comfort with the PETRA heavy-duty straps. The extra padded straps gives this atomizer a professional feel, as compared to other similar products. Other mosquito foggers use cheap side straps or handle that easily break and cause discomfort.
The premium 1200W motor operates on 110V AC power and can shoot up to 15 feet of chemicals/liquid for maximum fogging. Cover your field, yard, crops, garden, orchards, plants, and growing area in record time. The adjustable screw allows you to change the rate of flow of your fogger mid-use easily.
Overseeding your lawn to lush is not as hard as it sounds. All you have to do is be consistent with your lawn care and maintenance to keep it as green and lush as you want. Using high-quality tools like the Petra Electric Fogger Backpack Sprayer also saves you time, energy, and resources.